Nipissing University College was established in 1967 as an affiliate of Laurentian University in Sudbury,and received its charter as an independent university in 1992.
The university’s roots go back to 1909, when the North Bay Normal School, a teacher training school, was established in the city. The school was renamed North Bay Teachers’ College in 1953, and became Nipissing University College’s faculty of education in 1967. After the university received an award in 2010, the Faculty of Education was renamed the Schulich School of Education.
Nipissing University is one of the largest providers for Additional Qualification courses for teachers.The university offers courses online, on- site, and partially online. Every year the university receives around 5,000 registrations from teachers across the province that register for AQ, ABQ, Honour Specialist and Principals Qualification courses. Nipissing University is the only university in Ontario to offer the Advanced Bachelor of Education Degree. Since 1909 over 25,000 teachers have achieved their teaching credentials from Nipissing University.
- Administer a wide range of financial aid programs to assist students
- Have supportive professors who are accessible, even outside of classroom hours
- Provides a high quality academic environment that is student-focused
- 91.3% employment rate 6 months after graduation
- Ranks No. 1 in quality of teaching and learning (Globe & Mail 2012)