Bilkent University, or Bilkent, is the first private university of Turkey, located in Ankara, with the fundamental aim of creating a center of excellence in higher education and research. The name “Bilkent” exemplifies this aim, since it is an acronym of “bilim kenti”: Turkish for “city of science”. Bilkent University is among the 226th to 250th best universities in the world and 1st in Turkey according to Times Higher Education World University Rankings of the world’s top universities for 2012. Bilkent is ranked as the 28th best university in the world for 2015 in the category “100 best universities under the age of 50” by Times Higher Education, making it one of the best educational institutions in Eurasia. It is also the only university in Turkey that is ranked in top 100 in a subject list, being ranked 98th in the World in Engineering and Technology in 2014.
- Bilkent University is recognized and ranked worldwide as the premier institution of higher education in Turkey
- The university hosts over 13,000 students pursuing degrees in 32 undergraduate and 48 graduate programs
- Bilkent University has recently been ranked 31st in the 2014 inaugural Times Higher Education (THE) Asia University Rankings
- Finally among the World’s Top 100 Universities for Engineering and Technology in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2013-14, Bilkent is ranked 98th and is the only Turkish university on the list
- Bilkent University provides a rich and diverse environment for learning and intellectual growth and its library is the most extensive academic library in the country